Frequently Asked Questions

Reservations and Contract Questions

1. What do I need to do to reserve a date?

Spaces can be reserved by contacting Gopher Sports Spaces at 612.626.8032, or by emailing To request more information about hosting your event in a Premium Space, fill out a request form at

2. How far out can I book an event?

Gopher Sports Spaces venues are home to multiple sports teams including Gopher football, basketball and hockey. In addition, the Golden Gopher Marching Band, University Department of Recreational Sports and multiple departments within the University utilize these venues on a priority basis for practice, competitions, camps, classes, etc. throughout the year. Occasionally, the University entertains and grants requests to host large-scale concerts and events on campus, including TCF Bank Stadium and other Gopher Sports Spaces venues. Our multi-use facilities may only be booked for events one year in advance.

3. What is included in the rental rate?

The room rental fee covers the use of the room(s) for 6 hours plus 3-6 hours for event set-up and tear-down. This fee also includes furniture, one (1) podium, one (1) wireless or wired microphone, one (1) microphone table stand, CD/DVD player and mixer and mounted LCD televisions within the reserved space.

4. Are there expenses in addition to the rental rate?

Yes, expenses could include but are not limited to operations labor charge (setup/custodial), tours, security, UM Police, Emergency Medical Personnel, parking, audio visual, scoreboard, etc. Your Gopher Sports Spaces representative will give you an itemized expense estimate based on initial needs and requests. This estimate is subject to change throughout the planning process.

5. Do you require a deposit?

  • External Events – Yes, the room rental rate is due at the time of booking. All event expenses will be invoiced after the event.
  • Internal Events- No deposit is required, but an EFS number must be on file to hold the room.
  • Weddings – Yes, a 50% deposit is due at the time of booking. The remainder will be invoiced after the event.

6. What is considered a University Event?

Organizations affiliated with the University of Minnesota can receive 25% discounts on room rental fees. To be considered a University Event, the event must be for a University department and the University must take liability for your event.

7. What is considered a Student Group Event?

Registered University of Minnesota Student Groups can receive a 50% discount on room rental fees.

8. Is there a U of M Alumni discount?

There is a Gopher alumni wedding package rate available. Please contact a Gopher Sports Spaces representative for more details. There is no alumni discount for general events.

9. Is there a discount for non-profit organizations?

Yes, organizations that can provide a proper ST3 form are given a 15% non-profit discount. Please contact a Gopher Sports Spaces representative for more details.

Audio-Visual Questions

1. What audio-visual production services and equipment do you offer?

The room rental fee includes the following standard audio-visual equipment and services:

  • One (1) podium
  • One (1) wireless or wired microphone
  • One (1) microphone table stand
  • CD/DVD player and mixer
  • Mounted LCD televisions within the reserved space
  • Services provided to include rotating graphics, presentations and in-room sound system audio (background music).

Additional audio-visual equipment and services are available for a fee (projector & screen, laptops, microphones, hard line connections, conferencing equipment, flip charts, easels, etc.). Equipment is subject to availability and must be confirmed in advance.

A University of Minnesota Athletics Department audio-visual technician is required to operate the house equipment and provide standard services for an hourly fee to include set-up and tear down. Equipment specifications are available by request.

PowerPoint presentations, video/DVD files or graphics displays must be provided at least one week (5 business days) in advance of your event. Requests received within one week of the event cannot be guaranteed. For best quality, it is strongly recommended that PowerPoint presentations and DVD programming use a wide-screen format (16:9 ratio). Please include information about presentation audio needs in advance. Ask your dedicated special events coordinator for more information about available house equipment and audio-visual services.

Freestyle Productions, Inc. has been designated as the house vendor for Gopher Sports Spaces. Audio-visual and production services that cannot be provided in-house will be arranged through Freestyle Productions, Inc. In addition, Freestyle Productions, Inc. is strongly recommended as a resource for non-standard equipment rental needs. Licensee is allowed to utilize an outside provider for additional equipment needs with prior approval. All contractors must provide required information to event personnel and adhere to the facility policies and protocols.

2. Will there be an AV technician on site for my event?

Yes, a University of Minnesota Athletics Department audio-visual technician will be on site for the duration of your event. The technician will operate the house equipment and provide standard services for an hourly fee to include set-up and tear down.

3. Can I put an image on the scoreboard?

Yes, you can put a personalized message or slideshow on the scoreboard. All graphics must be created in widescreen 16:9 ratio. Contact a Gopher Sports Spaces representative for pricing details.

Catering Questions

1. Who can I use to cater my event?

Gopher Sports Space has a list of University approved caterers who offer a wide variety of food options at a range of price points. Please see our complete list of approved caterers here.

2. Can I bring in my own food or caterer?

No. Gopher Sports Spaces has a list of University approved caterers who offer a wide variety of food options at a range of price points. Please see our complete list of approved caterers here.

3. Can alcohol be served at my event?

Yes, alcohol can be served at your event by our Approved Caterers with a liquor license. The University Office of Risk Management requires an alcohol use form to be completed and submitted at least 15 days in advance of your event for the sale and/or service of alcoholic beverages. Alcohol service must end 30 minutes prior to the event end time (no later than 11:30 pm). The licensee shall complete and submit this form with the required certificate of insurance (if applicable) for approval. Your event representative will provide the form and additional information. The Alcohol Use Form is not required for events using University Catering as their caterer.

Decor Questions

1. Can I decorate the rental space for my event?

Yes, you can decorate for your event. You may access the room between 3-6 hours prior to your event for load-in and set-up needs.

Other Questions

1. Do I need to have insurance for my event?

(Not applicable for Internal Reservations) –

At least thirty (30) days prior to the event, licensee shall provide a certificate of insurance or other acceptable evidence showing insurance coverage as indicated below (facility use agreement section 9):

  • Licensee’s policy of Commercial General Liability Insurance – $1,000,000 per occurrence
  • Proof that licensee has purchased event liability insurance (individual) – $1,000,000 per occurrence. Licensee may purchase from the insurer of its choice or at the following address: "
  • State and other governmental agencies that are self-insured shall provide a letter stating that fact and the coverage limits for such insurance on departmental letterhead.
  • Evidence of coverage shall be written by insurance companies with an A.M. Best rating of A-VII or better that are licensed to do business in the State of Minnesota. INSURANCE SHALL NAME REGENTS OF THE UNIVERSITY OF MINNESOTA AS ADDITIONAL INSURED AND INCLUDE THE EVENT DATE, INCLUDING APPLICABLE LOAD-IN AND OUT DATES.
  • A sample insurance form is available upon request.

2. What will happen after I reserve a Premium Space?

A Gopher Sports Spaces team member will serve as your primary coordinator contact throughout the event planning and execution process. We strongly recommend scheduling a walk-through with your event coordinator during the planning process to discuss logistics and other details. An event supervisor will be on-site to assist with all of your needs on event day.

3. Do I need to have security/UMPD at my event?

Security- Contemporary Services Corporation (CSC) provides the security service for the University of Minnesota Intercollegiate Athletics Department. A security presence is required for all events where alcohol will be sold or served, outdoor / seating bowl use and events with over 300 attendees and additional events at the discretion of facility management. The number of guards depends on the scope of the event. CSC services are strongly recommended for all events and a fee will be included on your event expense estimate.

UMPD- Per University policy (via Office of Risk Management), the University of Minnesota Police Department maintains the right to require a uniformed police officer be present at events held on the University of Minnesota campus. The University of Minnesota Police Department will use their discretion based on the size/scope of the event. Information and fee estimates will be provided as far in advance as possible should a University Police Officer be required for your event.

4. What is the cancellation policy?

Written notice of cancellation is effective upon receipt by University. If a cancellation occurs after the agreement is signed by University and Licensee, Licensee shall include with the notice, the cancellation fee indicated below:

Notice of Cancellation Received Cancellation Fee
More than 270 days before the Event 20% of Total Fee
Between 270 and 181 days before the Event 40% of Total Fee
Between 180 and 61 days before the Event 60% of Total Fee
Between 60 and 6 days before the Event 80% of Total Fee
5 days or less before the Event 90% of Total Fee

5. Where should my guests park?

University of Minnesota Parking & Transportation Services manages and operates surrounding campus parking facilities and lots. Licensee will have the option of general parking (guests pay) or reserved parking (licensee pays for guests). Currently, valet service is not available.

General event parking rates range from $4.00 to $10.00. A $1.00 convenience fee is added per parking spot for reservations. Complimentary campus parking is not available and vehicles are not allowed re-entry. Visits to the venue prior to, on or after event day must consider parking needs. Parking/route suggestions, directions and maps are available upon request.

6. Are there hotels close by?

Yes, there are a number of hotels in close proximity to our venues. Please see our Preferred Vendors for a complete list of partnering hotels.

Follow Gopher Sports Spaces


Please wait...